Friday, October 24, 2014

The Changing Face of Software Development

I just returned from a successful trip to Melbourne for Iqnite 2014. I was lucky enough to be attending as a speaker this year. My talk was on Caterpillar's journey to ISO-9001 certification. Something that took a lot of effort and a project I felt was worthy of being Nominated for "Best Process Improvement" at the Australian Software Testing Awards. It was a tremendous honour to win the award and collect it on behalf of what is a pretty awesome team here at CAT in Brisbane.

What I came away with from this conference was how much software development is changing. This conference wasn't just about Software Testing. It was really about Software Development from the angle of people dedicated to Quality. This really hit a chord with me as its something I have been thinking about for some time. I felt that the game was changing but I couldn't put my finger on it. This conference helped me get my finger on the pulse of the industry.

"The Tester is Dead, Long Live The Technical Tester" is a talk I gave a few times in Brisbane in 2012. Fast forward 2 years and its a case of the "Tester" is dead as a sole function. You see if we are to truly to move into agile the traditional roles that have existed for the past 10 + years need to die in order to allow Agile to flourish.

Don't get me wrong we still need people dedicated to quality but to have someone dedicated to Testing is not going to work not even someone dedicated to automated testing. We need people who are dedicated to delivering a quality product. To a certain degree this means developers need to die too. In an agile world and even in a modern business world to have someone dedicated to one task is a luxury.

So although I have been practicing Agile in many forms over the past 8 years. Today marks the start of my new Blog "The Journeys of an Agiletronaut" I feel if I am truly to embrace agile then I too must also look at my skills. Being a Leader in Software Development over the past 8 years has left my technical skills a little rusty. So bare with me as I learn how to be a leader in an Agile world and hopefully I can learn and teach a few things along the journey.

 

No comments: